Domestic Violence and Time Off from Work in New Jersey

Domestic Violence and Time Off from Work in New JerseyWhen you have been the victim of violence at home, it can have a dramatic impact on your work as well. You may need medical treatment or be required to attend court proceedings. You may be experiencing emotional difficulties, need psychological counseling or need to find a safe place.

In recognition of the challenges that domestic violence victims face, the New Jersey legislature enacted a law allowing persons who have been subjected to such abuse to take time off without fear of retaliation or termination. There are pretty specific requirements, though, and the law is clear about how much time you may take off.

Under the law, to be eligible for time off under the domestic violence statute, you must work for a company that has at least 25 employees. You must have worked for that employer for at least 12 calendar months, and must have put in at least 1,000 hours over that period of time. You must also provide written notice to your employer as soon as possible. You do not need to be the victim of the domestic violence, but your employer may require documentation that you or someone in your household or family has suffered from domestic violence. Under the law, any of the following is sufficient to meet your employer’s request:

  • A restraining or protective order issued by a court
  • Documentation from a prosecutor
  • Documents showing that your accuser was convicted of domestic violence
  • Medical records
  • Certification from a certified domestic violence specialist, a domestic violence agency or the director of a rape crisis center
  • Other documentation from a professional, such as a shelter worker, social worker or member of the clergy

The law requires that you employer keep all records and information about the domestic violence allegations strictly confidential.

Under the law, you can take up to 20 days leave in the twelve months following your request. This time may also count against any leave to which you are entitled under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Contact Attorney David M. Lipshutz

We will only take your case if we know we can help. For an appointment, contact our office online or call us at 856-627-1990. We are available to meet with you Monday through Friday, between 9 am and 5 pm.

Speak Your Mind